Friday, June 10, 2016

Out of the shadows...



One of the most rewarding parts of working with youth is watching them grow up and turn from the shy kids they are when they first enter youth group to these amazing young adults who graduate with a new found confidence.  I like to think all the work that we do over the 7 years they are in youth group is a vital part of that growth.


Last night Coleen and I went to Margaret's dance recital for the second year in a row.  I love to watch our kids on stage, at sporting events, singing, heck just sitting and chatting on the youth hallway.  Margaret's first dance last night was with a group that represented Peter Pan's shadow.  They came bouncing out of the shadows on to the stage.  Margaret was first in line and when she crossed the stage I couldn't take my eyes off her.  I watched as she hit all of her moves with precision and strength.  She floated across the stage into each position she needed for her next move.  Margaret was amazing and it was a honor just to be there.  I saw so much growth in her dancing just from one year to the next. 


She definitely came out of the shadows between dance recitals this past year but that is not the only way that I have seen her step into the light.  Margaret has grown so much in her self confidence.  There were so many times this year where she stepped up and put herself out there.  She recorded herself doing a dance for our Girl's retreat about expressing yourself.  This was a major thing because talk about putting yourself out there.  I definitely couldn't of done that.  She took on a role in a skit for our Dinner and a Show where she was loud, flamboyant, and funny.  She has accepted the role of Co Youth Group President next year as a part of the youth leadership team. 


In all these ways Margaret has shown me that she does not belong in the shadows.  She is a confident, beautiful, talented girl with so much potential.  I am excited to be along for the ride as we continue to watch her grow.  By the time she is a senior in High School she will be ready to take on the world. 


Thank you Margaret for all the amazing things you have done and will do.  May you always remember that you can accomplish anything you put your heart, mind, and soul into.  Through Christ Jesus we can do all things that strengthen us.


Thanks for reminding me of that!


All my love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment