Sunday, June 21, 2015
Top 10 Things I learned from my Dad...
10. There are many colorful words that can be used while working on the car. I have remembered most of them but most of all I remember all the times that we worked on projects together and anything I know about cars came from you.
9. No matter how good or bad Virginia Tech is we will always be fans. Being a fan of Virginia Tech has always been a roller coaster ride but you have always taught me to be loyal and that shows up every year when I get excited for the coming season. We will always have Virginia Tech athletics to talk about.
8. Mulch doesn't move itself, the grass doesn't mow itself, and the leaf piles don't blow away. Yard work was always part of our lives in Clemmons, NC but it was a great feeling to accomplish a task. Thanks for teaching me that the end of the day you can always look back and realize that you have accomplished so much.
7. You should never drink Orange Juice as an after school snack. Orange Juice was always expensive even when we would buy it from concentrate. I would always drink it when I got home from school and there wouldn't be any left for the next morning. There is a time and place for certain things, it may be as simple as drinking Orange Juice in the morning, or it might be a well placed / timed hug. Thanks for reminding me that good things come to those that wait.
6. Lemon cookies, coffee ice cream, and pretzels are amazing! Your favorite flavors and foods have become my favorite flavors and foods! Like father like son!
5. There are a lot of holes in the sea, which you often find when you are riding on your father's back. When we would go to the ocean, I would ride on your back as we would go out looking for the Kracken and you would often step in "holes" which made us both go under the water. Thanks for teaching me that simple things can bring joy and laughter.
4. Always enjoy the classics. Ever time we were in the car whether it was a trip, a card show, or just running errands, we would listen to the oldies station. The Temptations, Supremes, Marvin Gaye, and the Embers became staples in my music library. Music is like fine wine, it gets better with age.
3. Laughter is the best medicine. You have always made me laugh. I hope that I am able to do that for other people because it is an important part of everyday life.
2. Don't ever give up. When I was in middle school we went to a baseball / basketball card shows and I bought a box of Hoops basketball cards hoping to get some David Robinson rookie cards. By the time we reached the grocery store right near the house I had opened 3/4ths of the box and didn't have a single David Robinson Card. As we walked through the grocery store and I was upset, you told me not to give up. When we got back in the car, I opened 3 packs in a row that had David Robinson rookie cards. I knew then that I should never give up!
1. You taught me what it is like to be a great father. Although I will never be a father, I hope that I show those around me the same love and support that you have always shown me! Happy Father's Day Dad!