Friday, June 5, 2015

To the Parents of Our Seniors

This has been the hardest I have ever taken a graduating class of seniors.  I think that it is going to be like this from now on based on the relationships I have with our youth.  The girls that are graduating this year have been with me through thick and thin.  They have been such an important part of creating the program that we have today.  I am two days away from Senior Sunday where I will be talking about them.  Today I want to talk to their parents.




Dear Senior Parents,


I can only imagine the emotions you are going through as your girls graduate High School and get ready to enter the "real" world as college students.  I have been pretty upset these last couple of weeks and I am not even their parents so I can only imagine, the joy and sadness that you are feeling.  I want to tell you a few things:


1. Be proud.  Your girls have done an amazing job in life.  They have learned to balance church, work, school, extra curricular activities, and a social life.  Those are skills that will take them far in life.  They had to learn that somewhere. 


2. Have Faith.  Your girls have been devoted to this youth group and through that they are devoted to God.  They have all made an impact on so many lives through the missions they have participated in and the messages they have delivered.  Someone had to introduce them to faith.


3.  They are all beautiful.  Each one of them shines in a different way and they are ready to go out and explore the world.  They are beautiful on the outside and on the inside and they make the world beautiful through their actions and reactions.  They get that from their moms.  Sorry Dads...


4. Be patient.  Each of these girls is going to go off and explore the world but they will never be as far as a text message, a phone call, or a face time session away.  They will come back home they always do.  You had to leave your parents too.


5.  Love them.  Your girls have amazing capacities to love.  They have showed me that in so many ways, from their mentoring of the younger youth to their love of each other.  They love the world, they love life, and most importantly they love you.  It takes love to know love.  Thanks for teaching them that.


I have loved the time I have spent with each and everyone one of our seniors.  I am excited to talk to them when they come back around and tell me about all the adventures they have been on.  They will always have a home here at St. Mark's and I will always be there when they need me.  Thank you for sharing them!


You can let go of the kite but hold on the to the string! 


                                                                                Love,


                                                                                        Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment