Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I can barely walk today but I love it!







Monday nights are awesome and a lot of fun!


 A couple of years ago we started to play pick up basketball.  It started out with myself and some of the youth but it quickly evolved into adult pickup basketball.  We come together around 7:00 pm and play basketball for over 2 hours every Monday night.  Last night we had 17 people show up to play in our little gym!  This morning when I finally got out of bed I could barely walk until after I got a nice warm shower.  My body is very stiff after we play and often I consume a lot of Ibuprofen on Tuesdays but it is definitely worth the pain.  The thing is it's not the actually playing that is worth the pain.


Don't get me wrong I love to play basketball and I definitely need the exercise but what I truly enjoy is the relationships that have been built from playing pick up basketball on Monday nights.  I have met a lot of men in the church through playing basketball on Monday nights. I love working with the youth of the church but it is all consuming sometimes.  There isn't much time to get to know people within the church because of the time and attention that is required of me by the youth.


I love my job and I love my kids but I really love playing basketball with the adults of the church.  I enjoy having adult conversations and learning a lot about the other men of the church.  This has been one of the outlets for me to truly get to know some other gentlemen in the church.


This adult pickup basketball has also been a gateway for some families to join the church.  Men have come and enjoyed themselves and gotten to know people and have then brought their families to church on Sunday.  It has been an interesting way to get more people involved in the life of the church.


I am very thankful for the friendships I have formed while playing pick up basketball on Monday nights.  God gives us so many opportunities to get to know people and invite them into relationship with him, why not do that with a basketball in your hands? 


So warm up my heating pad, get me some Ibuprofen, and make sure there is warm water for my shower because I plan to play a lot of basketball!

No comments:

Post a Comment