Thursday, July 28, 2011

Crossing the Street

Today I watched a man cross the street.  He didn’t care about the cars and trucks, he just walked right out in front of everyone and expected us to stop.  A couple of cars came to stop with their tires screeching, while others laid on their horns.  I was able to stop in plenty of time but I was so perplexed as to why someone would cross traffic like that.

I have been doing a lot of walking lately and I am always listening to my Ipod.  Because of this I am scared to cross anywhere but the crosswalk.  I press the button and I sit and wait for the light to change and I get the little stick figure that tells me to go.  Then I hurry as fast as possible to cross the intersection.   I run when cars that want to turn come up to the intersection, even if I as the pedestrian have the right of way.  I never cross the street somewhere that isn’t safe.
What is funny is that I think the way a person crosses the street is how their live their lives.  A carefree, somewhat reckless person will just cross the street wherever they are.   A follow the rules personality will stop at the intersection hit the button and walk when the light says too.  These are the extremes and there are a lot of variations but a lot of people fall into these categories.
It would be nice for people who have the cautious personality to have more of the risk takers personality and for the people with risk takers personality to have more of the cautious personality.  I think that a balance is good.  God gave us each our different personalities.  We have groomed them into what they are today but they were originally given to us by God. 
We are so blessed to have our own personalities and to be our own people.  What would like be like if we were all the same?  I don’t think I want to know.  So, I will stop at the light and wait for it to change and cautiously walk across the street.  You do whatever it is that suits your personality and we will meet on the other side of the road.  That’s where we are all headed anyway.  Does it really matter how we got there?

No comments:

Post a Comment