Thursday, November 17, 2011

Have it Your Way

This past weekend some youth and I had lunch at Burger King.  Burger King has the tag line, "Have it your way."  The first couple of order went fine but then Sarah stepped up to the register and asked for the garden salad and a large fry.  The lady behind the counter snapped at her and said "We don't have salads!"  I was standing behind Sarah and this threw me because looking up at the menu above me there was a huge add for the Garden salad.  Sarah just got some fries and a drink.  I placed my order and then Selena stepped up behind me and placed her order.  She asked them to mix chocolate and strawberry in a shake for her.  Again, the lady snapped at her and stated "we CAN'T do that."  I just sort of stared at her and then my order came.

We talked about it at dinner.  It was interesting to listen to them discuss how disappointing it was to not get what they wanted for dinner. Our pastor recently spent some time talking about how people want it their way. He actually showed a Burger King commercial during the service.   There was also a clip called the ME church which was a fake commercial about what the church would do to get members to come. 

I think too often we get caught up in the its all about me scenario.  This seems to happen because advertisers and businesses what us to buy their products, so them make it seem like we can have it any way we want.  The reality of this is actually pretty harsh because honestly, very often we don't get it the way we want to.  Often, it is the exact opposite and we have to deal with the it.  Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it is a bad thing.  What we want may not always be the good thing for us or the people that are important to us.  We may think it is but often we are wrong.

I have said that God doesn't give us what we want, he gives us what we need and it is up to us to figure out how to make that work.  That may seem wrong but honestly, we don't need it our way.  The me factor of life often needs to take a back seat.  Of course when it comes to things like deciding where to go out to eat, or what movie to see, you are going to choose something you want to eat or something you want to watch.  Where you get your hair cut or car worked on are other good examples of the me factor.

When it comes to a decisions that effect others around us or groups in general, that is when we need to put the me factor to the side and work for the common good.  It is easy to forget what is best for the group when it comes to our own needs.  It would be easier to work about ourselves.  The selfless people in the world live much richer lives that the selfish. 

So you many want a hamburger or fries with that, but what about the person on the corner with nothing to eat?  They may just want some rice or ramen.  It's up to us to choose to selfless or selfish. 

Do you have to have it your way?

No comments:

Post a Comment