Wednesday, September 14, 2011

With a little Help from my Friends

Yesterday evening around 5:45, myself and a couple of youth jumped in my car to go grab some dinner.  We got buckled in and I put the key in the ignition and turned and nothing happened.  I did it again and again, still nothing happened.   I thought that I had left my passenger side door open, so I ran in and ask Julia if I could borrow her keys.  Without asking me why she handed them over to me.  A little bit of help from my friend.  I told her what I was doing and she was more than happy to help.

Next I moved her car and hooked up the jumper cables.  I tried to jump to a couple of times.  Ian helped me by trying to start my car.  A little bit more help from my friend.  Ben held the hood of my car up for me.  Even more help from my friend.  While we were trying, Emily got there with her girls to play basketball.  She told me that if I needed a ride anywhere afterwards she would be glad to take me.  What great friends I have.   As we continued to try and fix the car, Wes showed up for basketball.  He has a big SUV so we decided to try his SUV with the bigger battery.  Wow, so much help from my friends.  After we got everything hooked up, we tried to start the car.  It started to kick over so we tried again.  After a couple of times we were able to get it to turn over.  I then put my foot on the gas for a little while and revved the engine.    

We decided to move my car down in front of Owen Hall and let it run for a little while.  After about twenty minutes, I went out to turn it off and see if it would cut back on.  When I turned the key, it was totally dead again.  I went in and told Wes and he said he would try to jump me and we could head over to Auto Zone to have them look at the battery.  We played basketball for a while and then I waited for Wes to get done with his meeting before we tried again. 

While I was waiting, both Emily, who came back to pick up the girls, and Julia, who was done with her meeting, were asking me about my car. I love my friends!  I told them what happened and what the plan was and both of them told me if I needed anything, to let them know.  After they both left, I was sitting on the table and Denise walked in.  We began talking about some church stuff and while we were, Wes came by and said he would be done in a few minutes.  Denise asked me what was going on and I told her the story.  She said she was going to follow me over to Auto Zone to make sure everything was ok.  Did I mention that I have the best friends?

After his meeting Wes tried to jump me again but we couldn’t get it started.  We decided to take the battery out.  We were messing with it and I couldn’t really get the bolt to move when Rich came out from his meeting and offered to help.  Now that is a friend.  It was dark and he worked on it for about twenty minutes.  With the help of a few other men who were there for a meeting and their tools, we were able to get the battery out.

Denise drove me over to Auto Zone.  When we got there it was closed, so she drove me home and told me she would pick me up in the morning.  This morning, she came and got me and took me over to Auto Zone.  We left the battery for them to try and charge, and when we came back, we learned that it was dead.  I bought a new battery and Denis drove me back to church.  I hope you have the kind of friends that I do.  It took me about fifteen minutes but I got the new battery in and my car is working great.

Sometimes we don’t realize just how many friends we have until a time of crisis.  It wasn’t a huge crisis, but when you know as little as I do about cars, it’s a crisis.  They were all there for me and it was wonderful.  I couldn’t have done it without them.  With a little help from my friends, I was able to get an old battery out and a new one it.  I am able to keep moving because they were all there to help me yesterday.  I am so thankful that God has put them in my life.  Thank you God for my loving friends, and thank you my friends for all your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment