Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Love from Blacksburg

As most of you know I live in Raleigh, NC.   I love it here,  my job is great, my youth are the best and I love them dearly, I couldn’t do what I do without the adults that are in my life.  I really do have it good.  There is one drawback though.  My parents live in Blacksburg and my brother lives in Florida.  We are pretty far apart so I don’t get to see them very much.  I go to Blacksburg for football games and Thanksgiving and Christmas but sometimes it doesn’t seem like enough.  I am really busy because of my schedule, but that is no excuse.

Yesterday I made a big mistake in my finances.  It was a pretty big mistake and I didn’t know what to do.  I was so mad at myself and uncertain of what I was going to do.  I sat on my couch without the TV or computer on and tried to think about what I was going to do.  Nothing came to mind and I finally drew the conclusion that I was in trouble.  I went back and forth and back and forth over it.  Finally I decided to call my parents.
After talking with my mom and dad they helped me figure out what to do.  I was so relieved after talking to them.  Have you ever felt that way after talking with someone?  When I talk with my mom I know that everything is going to be alright.  We have the greatest of talks and she has helped me through some tough times in my life.  I can always count on her to listen and she will help me with anything, all I have to do is ask.  I have always felt that way about my mom ever since I was a kid.  When I failed to make the soccer team at school, my mother got me a book that had stories about successful athletes that did make teams or succeed when they first tried out.  It helped so much.  To this day, I know that I all I have to do is call her and she will listen to me and help me.
My dad is great too.  He has always supported me and been there for me.  Most of our discussions obviously revolve around Virginia Tech but I know that I need him he will be there.  When I was a kid playing soccer he would come to all my soccer games and watch me.  One time he was videotaping a game and you can hear him snickering on the video tape after I slide tackled a guy that was trying to score.  It makes me laugh when I think about it. 
Last year when I was headed home after Christmas, my radiator hose burst and mom and dad came drove an hour and a half down the road to help me.  Then they drove an extra half hour into Mount Airy following me to make sure everything was working properly.  I can always count on the comfort, love, support, and help from my parents.
So I get love from Blacksburg all the time and I wish that I could see them more often.  Youth, you get love from inside your house.  Sometimes your parents drive you crazy, but that is only because they love you.  Respect your parents, love your parents, let your parents be a part of your lives.  They want to be and when you are a teenager, the only way they can be is if you let them in. 
Jesus was a teacher, he love people and gave everyone in this world a chance.  He was a healer and took care of the sick and injured.  He was a provider and often provided food for the masses.   Jesus loves you.  Does that sound familiar?  It should, because it sounds an awful lot like what your parents do.  They provide for you, they teach you, they heal you, but most of all they love you.  Remember that the next time you get in a fight or your parents make a decision that you don’t agree with.  I wish I had been better about it and had spent more time on my relationships with my parents and brother.  Don’t let life pass you by while you are on facebook, your phone, or in front of the TV.  Unless it is family night and you are sitting in front of the TV watching Star Trek the next generation or the Disney Family movie of the week, eating dinner and enjoying each other’s company.   I remember those nights fondly.  Love to you mom and dad!  Thanks for the love from Blacksburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment