Wednesday, December 14, 2011

25 Days of Christmas: Day 13: Shepherd's Girlfriend

I was in my house, just finishing up cleaning up dinner when they came running down from the hillside.  All the shepherds who were up  on the hillside that night were running toward town.  I couldn't believe it.  I thought it must of been a wolf attack or something because why would all the shepherds come running down leaving the sheep unattended.

I have been betrothed to a Shepherd for a while now.  He is a loving kind man but honestly not the brightest candle in house if you know what I mean.  My parents aren't very happy about the situation but unlike those that are richer and have an arrangement situation, I got to pick my husband and after years of sitting on the hillside, watching the sheep as well as the stars, I chose him.  We are happy together and ready to start our lives together.  Once we are married we will have our own house and possible own some of our own sheep.  But it is not time yet and we must wait a little longer.

As I watched the shepherds run through town, yelling Praise God and screaming about needing to get to Bethlehem, I saw my boyfriend come running toward me.  He was smiling ear to ear and was out of breath when he reached me.  He tried to speak but had to catch his breathe before he could say anything.  I could see the excitement in his eyes when I looked at his face.

Once he caught his breath, he explained what had happened out on the hill tonight, he talked about the star in the sky and the angel followed by a heavenly host of angels.  He was talking so fast that I had to calm him down so that I could understand what he was saying.  He said that the angel said that a baby was born in Bethlehem tonight and that he is the Son of God.  He said he was instructed to go and praise him.  He said he just wanted me to know where I he was going.  I smiled at him and although one might think it would be hard to believe such a story, I knew that he was a simple honest man and that he would never make up such a story. 

I ran into the house and packed some bread for him.  I grabbed my fathers walking stick and gave both of them to him.  I told him to go to Bethlehem and see this baby.  I told him to come back and spread the good news that the Son of God has been born.  He hugged me and kissed me and off he ran following the other shepherds.  Before we knew it you couldn't see them any more as they crossed over the hill.  You could however see this extremely bright star hanging over Bethlehem.  I just smiled and went inside to pray.

After I prayed, I gathered some things, some food, a blanket, and a crook and headed out of the house.  As I was walking, all the other wives and girlfriends joined me as we headed up the hillside to see if the sheep were ok.  When we reached the spot where the sheep were, it was amazing.  Not a single sheep was missing, they were all together in a group grazing like there were being watched by an unseen guardian.  Having spent time on the hillside with the shepherds before we knew where to stand and how to watch the sheep.  We kept watch over the flock until our shepherds returned.  I sat and watched the night sky, every star in the sky moved as the night went on except for that star over Bethlehem.  I wish I had been able to go with him to see the new born baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and laying in a manger.  Maybe one day I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment