Saturday, December 17, 2011

25 Days of Christmas: Day 9: Camel

I really wish Gaspar wouldn't eat so much.  He seems to get heavier every time we stop.  I wonder if I am just tired.  I have never been on such a long trip before.  I have always been close to home.  I would take my master through the town and load up with goods from the market, but I never traveled far from home.  We have been out here for weeks it feels like following yonder star.  I wonder why it is so bright.  It seems like it is right here on earth with us instead of up in the sky.  At least I know what direction to go in.  I am not sure which way to go if it wasn't for that star and having never been far from home, it is kind of comforting having the star to follow.

I am lucky that I have these humps to store water in.  We have had water breaks but they have been few and far between.  I can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't have this extra water.  Food has been hard to find, although I did eat and drink very well when we stopped in Jerusalem.  There was so much it was like I was in a royal stable.  Come to find out I was in a royal stable.  I overheard a couple of the stable handlers talking about how much so guy name Herod was upset about us looking for the newborn King.  They said that he wanted him dead.  I was shocked to hear it.  It is a shame I can't communicate with humans because I would tell my master and his companions about what I heard.

Luckily when we got back on the road, Balthazar talked to them about what he saw and felt and told all of them that they would not return through Jerusalem to see King Herod.  This made me feel much better.  The thing is, I don't think humans realize that we animals know who God is.  We know of the great creator who made all things, animals, and people.  We know of his great love and power.  I am just as excited as they are to go and worship the newborn King, the Son of God.  This is history in the making and if I ever have a son I can tell him about the time his father was able to visit the Son of God and play an important role as I carry a very wise man to see him.

The star has gotten even brighter.  We can see that it is over Bethlehem and centered even over a certain section of Bethlehem.  It won't be long now.  Before you know it we will be there and able to see him.  I hope that there are other camels there who can tell me what has been going on this whole time.  I hope that I get to see the baby.  We have been following this star of wonder, star so bright for such a long time.  It is only fitting that it is centered over where the baby lays.  We are almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment