Thursday, December 1, 2011

25 Days of Christmas: Day 25: The Angel

26: God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a decendant of David.  The virgin's name was Mary. 28 The angle went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are hightly favored!  The Lord is with you."

                                                                                                              -Luke 1:26-28
God calls Gabriel to him to have a discussion.  During this discussion he explains to Gabriel that he is to go down to the town of Nazareth and tell a virgin there named Mary that she is pregnant with the son of God.  I am sure that Gabriel didn’t question God’s request at all but can you imagine what must have been going through Gabriel’s mind?  Who knows what kinds of feelings and emotions angels have.  They might not have any and just go about the work they are told to do, but then again, they might have a say or at least an opinion about what they are asked to do.
Here is what I would be saying to myself if I had been Gabriel and had to deliver this news. 
(Remember this is just my thoughts):
“THIS IS CRAZY!” 
I am supposed to go down to earth.  Fly on in to good old Mary’s house.  Scare the heck out of her through that action alone and then stand there and tell her that not only is she, a virgin, pregnant but that the baby is the son of God and she has to name him Jesus.   She doesn’t even get to pick the name.  What if she wanted to call him Bubba or Frank.  I guess Bubba sitting at the right hand of God wouldn’t be a good name.  Jesus is probably the best name. 
I know that we just recently helped Elizabeth to have a baby at her age, but at least she is married.  Poor Joseph, not only does he have the stress of getting married but now he has to raise a kid that isn’t his.  I am sure he will do a wonderful job but is he going to believe Mary when she tells him what happened?  One can only imagine what he might think or say.  I might have to make a bonus flight over to his house and tell him what is going on.  It would be cool if I could do that in a dream sequence because I haven’t visited anyone in their dreams in a long time.  I might have to check with the big guy first and see what thinks, we may want to play it out and see what happens with Mary talking to him first.  If there are issues, either I or another angel could go have a chat with the groom to be. 
Well, I guess I should get ready for the fight.  Do I get frequent flyer points if I have to make more than one trip down?  I should, those things rack up and I could get a new harp with the points.  That old one I have has a couple of broken strings.  Or maybe I could get…. Oh wait, I need to go, I’m wasting time.  It’s off to Mary’s house!

I think it probably went more like this:
Gabriel goes to see Mary.  I envision this being at night.  Maybe Mary gets up to get a drink of water in the night and has to go out to the town well to fetch water.  As she walks to the well, the wind howl, sand starts swirl around her and it becomes so thick she can’t see.  The wind knocks her down and sends her water container crashing to the ground.  A bright light appeared and through the sand and wind, all Mary can make out is the shadow of a figure standing in front of this bright light.  The wind dies down and the sand stops, Mary gets to her feet and sees that before her stands an angel of the Lord.  The conversation starts with Gabriel explaining to her that she is highly favored and that the Lord is with her. 
From there the conversation between Gabriel and Mary would continue.  After Gabriel leaves, that would leave Mary with one of the hardest things she would have to do, outside of being the mother of the Son of God, telling Joseph.

No comments:

Post a Comment