Thursday, August 1, 2013

Life and Death




Today I witnessed something that I personally have never witnessed before.  A very good friend of mine, let's call her Coleen became a Grandma today at around 2 am.  She sent me a picture of her and her grandson around 5 am this morning.  This morning, I also received a text from another good friend of mine, let's call him John, whose father passed away today after a long battle with cancer.  It is an interesting feeling to be both happy and sad at the same time. To be joy filled for one friend and heartbroken for another.

Each day an estimated 250,000 to 300,000 people die but it is also estimated that around 250,000 to 300,000 people are born.  It is interested how that seems to balance out.  I am sure that there are days when one is higher than the other but it is still very interesting how those estimates are so close.  I bet that a lot of third world countries are not even considered in that number.  I think that only God truly knows how many people are born and how many die on the same day.

Coleen is a very close friend of mine.  We have done quite a few things together through our ministry.  I know a lot about her family and she knows a lot about mine.   I forgive her every time I see her with that UNC jacket on. :)  She is so excited about her grandson and the picture that I saw this morning shows the love and joy on her face for this new little life that has come into the world.  I honestly don't know if I have ever seen her so happy.  I know that she can't wait to get back to the hospital this afternoon to see him again.  This is a start of a new phase of life for Coleen and her family as they welcome this new life.

John (another UNC fan)  is a kind, gracious, wonderful man.  I see his love and devotion to his kids and wife everyday.  It is wonderful to watch.  I did not know John's father, but I have heard wonderful stories about him.  I know that he has been battling this cancer for a long time.  I may not of known him personally but I can see him through the son he raised.   The teachings of strong morals and love of family are evident through John.  I see him through the grandchildren that love each other and treat each other with respect and love.  They so loved going to cousin camp at their grandparents house.  I see him through his beautiful family that will continue to live and love while always remembering and rejoicing over a life well lived.

I do not know the order of things.  I don't know why people get sick or why some people have unhealthy babies.  I do know that we need to love those around us while we have them in our lives.  I know that we need to lift prayers up to God for those that are healthy as well as those that are sick.  I know that we can rejoice in the birth of a new member of the family as well as rejoice as we celebrate a life well lived. 

May we see the light in both birth and death.  May we accept that we will never understand why things happen but that as long as we praise our Lord and savior and raise him up on high that we will see each other again after this earthly life.  

May this be a day of honor and glory, love and sadness, but most of all may this be a day of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment