Monday, May 7, 2012

Mental Hiccups

A hiccup is a brief, involuntary twitching of the diaphragm that repeats several times per minute. In humans, the abrupt rush of air into the lungs causes the vocal cords to close, creating a "hic" sound.

I don't get them very frequently anymore, but when I do they are very annoying.  You get them at the worst time, mine have often been when drinking a soda too fast.  People tend to laugh when you get them and honestly they are quite funny.  They don't really hurt but you can't wait for them to go away.  I was told by someone when I was a kid that if you take seven small sips of water very slowly, the hiccups will go away.  Eventually they do whether you are drinking water or not.

Do you ever get mental hiccups?  I think those are when at the oddest time something you have done in your past that you feel bad about pops in your head.  It happens at the most random of times, in the shower, on a walk, watching TV, or typing on the computer.  Sometimes it is brought on by something that jump starts a memory like a song or something you see, but often it just randomly pops in your head.  I get these sometimes.  They are things that just sort of pop up in my head.  As I relive the event over in my head, I cringe or get mad when I think about what it is I had did or had done to me.  I often think about well if I only said this or if I only did that.

Often these hiccups make me wonder why I did a certain something or acted a certain way.  They then make me think about whether or not I do these same things now and if people look at me in a certain way because of them.  I know it is all sort of cryptic but do you know what I am talking about?  It may be just me that gets these type of mental hiccups.

The best thing about these hiccups is that they go away.  Sometimes the same ones reappear but often they don't.  Just like real hiccups they eventually leave me and I am able to go on with my everyday life.  I do think that these hiccups are there for a reason.  They are there to remind me that I need to slow down and think about my actions when it comes to certain situations.  I need to remember how I acted or what I did in situations that I relive and make wiser choices.  Just like my hiccups, I try to fix my mental hiccups with the living water that is Jesus Christ.

Jesus provides me with a living water.  He provides me with the opportunity to realize the error of my ways, make corrections, and continue on my life path.  By leaning on him and drink up this living water, I am able to cure my mental hiccups and learn from my mistakes.  May we all get a huge glass of living water even if you don't get mental hiccups!

No comments:

Post a Comment