Friday, May 4, 2012

Open Window

The other day it was really nice outside so I decided to open the windows of my apartment.  I was sitting in my bed reading when I started to listen to the world outside.  At first it was annoying because it was a car that had its bass up way too loud.  So loud that the walls of my apartment shook.  I think that is what got my attention at first but after the car left, I heard children laughing and playing.  I heard a dog barking in the far off distance.  I heard a man yell across the parking lot, "I love you baby!"  Then I heard the reply.  "I love you too!"  A police car zoomed by followed by another and still another.  After the police cars I sort of lost track until the middle of the night when I was awaken by the sound of a tremendous downpour and thunder.  I rolled out of bed and pulled the curtain back to watch the rain and see the lightening.

As I stood there at my bedroom window, looking out into the rain, I could help but think about how this window was a lot like us.  We have a tendency to open and close the window that shows who we really are.  Sometimes we allow people in to get close to us and listen to us when we need to talk about something bothering us or when we just want to say I love you.  Other times, we close that window and lock it so that people can't get in and they have no clue what is going on inside of us. 

We have the choice to open that window that shows who we really are.  We can share it with the world or a select group or we can shut ourselves out.  I think too often we choose to do that latter and end up shutting people out.  This hurts us because not only can people not hear us crying or calling out for help, we can't hear them offering it to us.  We don't take advantage of our friends who are our friends for a reason.  They care for us and love us and want to be here for us but too often we don't open the window so they are left looking in from the outside.

I think that God puts people in our lives for a reason.  I think that those people, are family, are friends, and our co workers are put in our lives for a reason.  Everybody needs someone to be there for them in their time of need.  Let's just call them window washers.  They are there to help us clean up our messes.  They are there to listen to us, cry with us, laugh with us, and give advice to us.  They are there to wash our windows so that we will open them up so we will be heard.

God wants us to open our windows so we will feel the fresh airs of friendship and love.  Open your window, allow people to hear you.  Make your friends open their windows by being their window washer.  Sometimes when the temperature is just right, open the windows to your home and just sit back and listen to the outside world. You never know what you might hear!


W3EPFEBYNFUV

No comments:

Post a Comment